The Cay 1974 DVD (Region 1 - Playable in North America - The US, Canada, Mexico, etc.) Color.
Starring: James Earl Jones, Alfred Lutter III, Gretchen Corbett. Introduced by Charlton Heston. Written by Russell Thacher based on the novel by Theodore Taylor. Directed by Patrick Garland.
During World War II, young Phillip survives a sinking ship only to be struck blind and trapped on a Caribbean island with an elder black man, Timothy, and a bedraggled cat. Phillip must adjust to his new handicap while Timothy pushes him to learn survival skills. Tested by their differences, a special relationship grows between them. Fighting barren isolation and the unforgiving sea, the two must soon brace against the dark furies of a hurricane.
Based on Theodore Taylor's award-winning book (winner of the Lewis Carroll Shelf Award), this film is a warm and enlightening screen adaptation for all ages. Perfect for your classroom. Also see: ISLAND OF THE BLUE DOLPHINS and THE CALL OF THE WILD, both available here at The Movie-O-Zone.
Region One. North American Format.
"A classic story of friendship and adventure!"
Theodore Taylor's THE CAY won the following awards:
· A School Library Journal Best Book of the Year
· A New York Times Best Book of the Year
· A Horn Book Honor Book
· An American Library Association Notable Book
· A Publishers Weekly Children’s Book to Remember
· A Child Study Association’s Pick of Children’s Books of the Year
· Jane Addams Book Award
· Lewis Carroll Shelf Award
· Commonwealth Club of California: Literature Award
· Southern California Council on Literature for Children and Young People Award
· Woodward School Annual Book Award
· Friends of the Library Award, University of California at Irvine